- About WoWE
- Support WoWE
- Celebrate Women in Wind
- Explore Wind Energy
- Get Involved
WoWE Woman of the Year Award
Woman of the Year - Awarded to a woman who stands out for her leadership, inspiration, and significant contributions to the expansion and improvement of the renewable energy field. Whether she is the leader of a company or organization, or works behind-the-scenes, she is making wind energy development happen at the highest level.
The nomination deadline for this award is March 15, 2012.
WoWE's 2012 Woman of the Year Honoree:
2012 WoWE Woman of the Year Leslie Freiman. Leslie Freiman is the General Counsel, Chief Regulatory Officer, and Secretary for EDP Renewables (EDPR), as well as a member of the EDPR Executive Committee and Board of Directors. She holds a law degree, cum laude, from the University of Houston Law Center, as well as a Bachelor of Science in Nursing from the University of Texas Health Science Center, highest honors. Prior to EDPR, Leslie was a Partner at Baker Botts in their Washington DC office. She made her transition to the energy sector in 2000 to become General Counsel at TM Power Ventures LLC. In 2004 she entered the wind sector as Project Counsel to Zilkha Renewable Energy, and became General Counsel in 2005 at Horizon Wind Energy LLC when it was purchased by Goldman Sachs.
From the Nomination Essay for Leslie Freiman: "There are few people in the industry with as much experience and depth as Leslie Freiman. Many of the biggest deals in the industry (such as the $2.8 billion USD sale of Horizon Wind Energy to EDP in 2007; or the $2.2 billion IPO of EDP Renewables in 2008) were crafted in her hands."
The WoWE Woman of the Year Lineage includes:
- 2012 Woman of the Year - Leslie Freiman, General Counsel, Chief Regulatory Officer, and Secretary for EDP Renewables (EDPR)
- 2011 Woman of the Year - Beth Soholt, Executive Director of Wind on the Wires (WOW)
- 2010 Woman of the Year - Abby Arnold, Executive Director of the American Wind Wildlife Institute (AWWI) and Senior Mediator at Kearns & West
- 2009 Woman of the Year - Karen Conover, Director of Wind Business and Strategy Development, DNV
- 2008 Woman of the Year - Rachel Shimshak, Director, Renewable Northwest Project
- 2007 Woman of the Year - Jan Hamrin, President, Center for Resource Solutions
- 2006 Woman of the Year - Jan Blittersdorf, CEO and President, NRG Systems