- About WoWE
- Support WoWE
- Celebrate Women in Wind
- Explore Wind Energy
- Get Involved
WoWE Woman of the Year Award
Woman of the Year - Awarded to a woman who stands out for her leadership, inspiration, and significant contributions to the expansion and improvement of the renewable energy field. Whether she is the leader of a company or organization, or works behind-the-scenes, she is making wind energy development happen at the highest level.
2015 Nomination Form coming in January
2014 Woman of the Year Nomination Form
The nomination deadline for this award is March 13, 2015.
WoWE's 2014 Woman of the Year Honoree:
2014 WoWE Woman of the Year Trudy Forsyth. Trudy Forsyth has been a leader in wind energy and renewable energy for the past two decades. She was the U.S. Department of Energy's Golden Field Office liaison and coordinator of NREL's technical support for the Small Wind Turbine Field Verification Project, overseeing testing of small turbines to International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) standards. She co-authored the IEC technical standards and served as an IEC secretary for the second and third revisions of the IEC small wind design and safety standards. She led the development of the American Wind Energy Association's Small Wind Roadmap, published in 2002. For many years she was a leading NREL voice on the Wind Powering America initiative now called Wind Exchange working to break down barriers to installing wind turbines. She has served on the Boards of the Small Wind Certification Council, the American Solar Energy Society, the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners, and the Distributed Wind Energy Association. Trudy has also been a true champion and mentor for other women and girls in the industry and in science technology and life in general; the range of her activities include being the first “official” Board Chair for Women of Wind Energy for the past 4 years and working with the Girls Scouts. Trudy has worked tirelessly throughout many years to foster the engagement of girls and women in engineering, aerospace, and the renewable energy sector.
The WoWE Woman of the Year Lineage includes:
- 2014 Woman of the Year - Trudy Forsyth, Managing Director of Wind Advisors Team
- 2013 Woman of the Year - Lucille Olszewski, Meterologist, Ensemble Wind
- 2012 Woman of the Year - Leslie Freiman, General Counsel, Chief Regulatory Officer, and Secretary for EDP Renewables (EDPR)
- 2011 Woman of the Year - Beth Soholt, Executive Director of Wind on the Wires (WOW)
- 2010 Woman of the Year - Abby Arnold, Executive Director of the American Wind Wildlife Institute (AWWI) and Senior Mediator at Kearns & West
- 2009 Woman of the Year - Karen Conover, Vice President, DNV GL Group
- 2008 Woman of the Year - Rachel Shimshak, Director, Renewable Northwest Project
- 2007 Woman of the Year - Jan Hamrin, President, Center for Resource Solutions
- 2006 Woman of the Year - Jan (Blittersdorf) Blomstrann, CEO and President, Renewable NRG Systems Inc.